Mommy Mantra for October 2, 2013: Their angels in heaven always look upon the face of my heavenly Father. (Matthew 18:10)
I am a product of Catholic school – primary to college, and so guardian angels are as familiar to me as the back of my hand. I remember being in first grade, everyday I made my mother pack a sandwich for me and my guardian angel, and I would sit as far over on one side of my desk chair so my angel could sit right next to me and share my lunch; until my first grade teacher “gently” told me: “We don’t do that.”
For me my angel was as real as anyone else, in fact I had been taught they were real, here is a Gospel telling us about the reality of guardian angels. I have no idea why this teacher thought to correct me, maybe she feared I would be one of “those kids” with behaviour problems, or maybe she thought my elevator didn’t go to the top floor, who knows; but it did throw me for an emotional loop.
It is clear from this Gospel that we have individual guardian angels who are in heaven intimately connected with God on our behalf. Maybe it is that intimate connection that helps when we fall away, that there is someone watching our back.
Some interesting thought on the subject of Guardian Angels
- Memorial of the Holy Guardians (graspdailygospel.wordpress.com)
- Your Guardian Angel’s Day (fellowshipoftheminds.com)
- Wednesday (October 2): “Their angels in heaven always look upon the face of my heavenly Father.” (shechina.wordpress.com)
- Angel of God, My Guardian Dear (thepassionists.org)
- Carissimi: Today’s Mass; Holy Guardian Angels (frjeromeosjv.wordpress.com)
- If We Have the Holy Spirit Why Do We Need a Guardian Angel? (meanlittleboy2.wordpress.com)